Categories and Rate Cards store information about the items and services you buy and sell. Templates and Group Tasks store pre-defined order templates and workflows.
Categories are the items and services you buy and sell. There are seven category record types. Each has specific characteristics and attributes and each functions differently within the system.
- Items - Used for products you buy or sell (but not inventoried items or assembly items).
- Inventoried Item - Used for items you track through inventory.
- Assembly Item - Used for products that require production.
- Inventoried Assembly Item - Used to track the end product for assembly items made to stock.
- Activity - Used for time related categories. Examples include Design Services, Technical Support, and Product Assembly Time.
- Purchase - Used for things you purchase and consume–such as office supplies, out of pocket expenses like travel or taxi fare–as well as for things you purchase and then pass the cost on to your customer–such as job supplies or special services.
- Other - Used for things such as line item adjustments, order deposits, line item discounts, tax adjustments, etc.
Every source of revenue or cost throughout the system is assigned to a Category. Each Category record, in turn, is associated with both a revenue-side and cost-side general ledger accounting code. This allows users to assign the same category (e.g., “Printing”) to both a Purchase and an Invoice, for example. All the necessary accounting logic is completely transparent. Learn more about Categories here.
The Rate Cards module stores special pricing and commissions associated with categories. You can create custom Rate Cards to link to specific customers, or you can use them for special pricing situations.
The Templates module stores templates for Orders, Purchase Orders, Shipments, Campaigns, and CRM Accounts. It offers management the opportunity to standardize activities and better control wording viewed by clients. Users can simply select a pre-existing Template for these records rather than needing to re-enter similar data over and over.
The Task Groups module is used to create workflows which can then be assigned to Jobs and Categories. These templates help automate the setup of workflows around assemblies and other multi-task fulfillments.