Please note that this help guide assumes you have a basic understanding of aACE and its tax profile and accounting infrastructure. For details on how aACE+ AvaTax integration works with aACE's existing tax profiles, see Overview of AvaTax integration.
AvaTax credentials and basic setup information can be entered in System Admin > aACE Preferences > Accounting > AvaTax.
- Account Number, License Key, and URL is your AvaTax Account Number, License Key, and URL provided by Avalara in an email with the subject "Important! Your [Production/Development] Account Number & License Key". The URL is most likely http://avatax.avalara.com/ but if you experience difficulties, check with Avalara. To test your connection, click the Test button adjacent to the AvaTax checkbox.
- Enable Logging allows you to enable or disable advanced logging for the AvaTax integration.
- Disable Address Validation will turn off automatic address validation when creating or updating applicable records (i.e. companies, orders, and invoices). Note that with automatic address validation enabled you can still manually validate an address.
- Disable Tax Calculation will turn off automatic tax calculations when saving orders and invoices.
- Filter Address Validation by Country is a return-delimited list of all countries that should be included in the address validation feature. If a country is not on this list then it will not be included in automatic or manual address validation.
aACE Offices (Internal > Offices) correspond to AvaTax companies in the event you’ve set up multiple entities in your AvaTax system. Here you will enter your AvaTax Company Code into the AvaTax Co Code field.
aACE Tax Profiles (Accounting > Tax Profiles) can be set up in different ways depending on your implementation. As far as the AvaTax integration is concerned, any record assigned a tax profile with AvaTax enabled will be processed through AvaTax; any tax profile with AvaTax disabled will bypass the tax calculation.
The simplest implementation would have a single default tax profile with AvaTax enabled. All records would be assigned to this tax profile and all taxes would be calculated via AvaTax. Give Tax 1 a generic tax GL Account.
Additional tax profiles would be required if:
• You want tax values calculated by AvaTax to be tracked in the GL using various criteria. For example, you may want a different tax GL Account for each state you do business in, in which case you’d need a different tax profile for each state.
• You want the AvaTax tax calculation to be disabled for a certain group of companies, such as jurisdictions for which your AvaTax account is not set up to calculate.
aACE Categories (Order Setup > Categories) are your products, and this is where you enable or disable AvaTax for a given category. You can also set an optional tax code that AvaTax uses to calculate tax rates for basic users; see your Avalara representative for details.
Note: In newer versions of aACE+ AvaTax integration, the Avatax code has been moved down to the Preferences section. There is also an additional checkbox to turn off individual categories from being run through Avalara, allowing you to default untaxed categories to zero.
For updating batches of existing categories with AvaTax Tax Codes you can run the Update AvaTax Tax Code for Categories in List option from list view. This will step you through a process that will first export your current list, allowing you to open in Excel to bring in the Tax Codes, and then re-import into aACE to update the existing data. To toggle the Enable AvaTax flag for batches of existing categories, run the Update AvaTax Setting for Categories in List option.