Automatically generating payables can be done using the auto-purchasing feature in CRM Accounts. To begin:
- Navigate to the CRM Accounts module. From the main menu: CRM & Sales > Accounts.
- Click the New button in the top menu bar to start a new record.
- Enter the basic information for the CRM account.
Note: The End Date and Value fields have additional logic. See "Terminating Auto-Purchasing" below for more details.
- Click Save.
- Click Setup Automation in the module's navigation bar. You will be prompted to select either "Billing" or "Purchasing". Note that this choice can be changed at any time by toggling the Auto-Billing and Auto-Purchasing flags in the CRM account.
After selecting "Purchasing" you'll click Edit to enter the auto-purchasing setup dialog. First you will set up the transaction details. In the Title field, enter the title you wish to use for all transactions generated from this CRM Account. In the Vendor field select the vendor you will be purchasing from, and in the Payment Terms field select the terms of your agreement with the vendor. Fill in the Description, Additional Info, and Notes fields as appropriate; use the merge fields listed to the right as needed in any of the text fields. This is the template that will be used to generate each transaction.
Under Items, add any line items to be included in the transaction as well as shipping and tax amounts. For example, if you are setting up an auto-purchase for monthly rent, you would add that as a line item.
Next navigate to the Automation screen, where you'll be presented with several options to set up automated purchasing.
- Enable auto-purchasing. This box enables auto-purchasing to occur. Unchecking this box will disable auto-purchasing; see "Terminating Auto-Purchasing" below.
- Auto-generate purchase order. If this box is checked a purchase order will be generated based on information in the Transaction Details tab.
If "Leave PO pending" is checked the purchase order will remain pending; otherwise it will automatically be opened.
- Auto-generate purchase. If this box is checked the transaction will be generated based on information in the Transaction Details tab. If "Leave purchase pending" is checked the purchase will remain pending; otherwise it will automatically be opened. You may want to automatically open a purchase if the value is the same each month, such as rent, or monthly service charges. You will want to leave a purchase pending if the value differs each month, such as utilities. In the latter example you will want to set a team member to receive a notice when the purchase is generated so they can adjust the value of the purchase and open it manually.
- Auto-generate disbursement. Selecting this box will generate a disbursement for the purchase. If "Leave disbursement pending" is checked the disbursement will remain pending; otherwise it will automatically be opened.
- Bank Account. This is the bank account for the new disbursement.
- Payment Method. This is the payment method for the new disbursement.
- Payment. This is the amount for the new disbursement. Enter 100% to pay in full. Monetary values are also accepted in this entry field, e.g. 59.25.
- Terminate auto-purchasing when End Date is reached. This option will prevent new transactions from being auto-generated after the End Date. See "Terminating Auto-Purchasing" below for more details.
- Terminate auto-purchasing when Value is exceeded. This option will prevent new transactions from being auto-generated that exceed the Value for the CRM account. See "Terminating Auto-Purchasing" below for more details.
- Send notices to. The team member selected here will receive a notification when the purchase is generated or when an error occurs in the auto-generation of the purchase. This value defaults to the account's Assigned To team member but can be overwritten if necessary, however the Assigned To team member will still receive the notification.
- Schedule. Here you determine the start and end dates for auto-generated transactions, as well as the next date. After entering the initial "The next cycle will occur on" date, the next date will increment each time auto-purchasing runs. In this section you also determine the frequency of the transactions. By default Periodically: Monthly is set, but this can be changed to run in a wide variety of increments. Options include daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annually, or annually; every X number of days, weeks, months, or years; or on selected days of the week.
- Save. Once you save the dialog, you will be returned to the summary view.
Tracking Linked Purchases
Once the system starts generating the purchases automatically, they will appear in the Purchases section in both General Info and Auto-Purchasing. Every generated transaction is logged.
Manually Testing or Running Auto-Purchasing
You can manually run an auto-purchase cycle by selecting Run Auto-Billing/Purchasing Now from the Actions menu. This will run the current cycle and increment the next cycle according to your settings.
You can test the auto-purchase by selecting Test Auto-Billing/Purchasing from the Actions menu. This will generate transaction(s) according to your settings, but leave all transactions pending so that they can be modified or deleted. This will not increment the next cycle. If you process the test transactions, you will need to increment the next cycle manually.
Auto-purchasing will terminate when:
- The end date arrives. System notifications are sent to the Assigned To one cycle prior to the ending date. If the end date is left empty, automated purchasing will continue until you stop it manually or until the Value is reached or exceeded (see condition 2). For example, if you set up a CRM account to generate auto-purchases for your monthly rent, you may set an end date of 12/31/15 if you know your rent is going to be raised effective 01/01/16.
- The total purchased is equal to or greater than the Value field. If the Value is left empty, automated purchasing will continue until you stop it manually or until the end date arrives (see condition 1). In this example, if your monthly rent is 2,500.00 and you set a value of 30,000.00 then only 12 transactions can be auto-generated from this CRM account. On the 12th cycle, a notification will be sent to the Assigned To when the system detects that the next transaction will exceed the Value and ends auto-purchasing.
- The account is turned off manually by unchecking Enable auto-purchasing from the auto-purchasing setup dialog.
- The account is turned off manually by deactivating the CRM account.